Friday 9 September 2011

Bestsellers

So today we finished early. Sempat go to high street shopping a bit.

Went and deposited £20 at Waterstone's.Wanted to buy some books la. Specifically, was looking for Michael Ende's Neverending Story and Momo but got blinded by the selection, 3 for 2 offers and product placement. I'm a big sucker for product design and placement la. Always get conned one.

They had placed David Nicholls' One Day, Starter for Ten and The Understudy right at the entrance. The colours also very attractive. Nearly bought all three using the 3 for 2 offer.

The title wouldn't have inspired me to buy the book had I not watched the movie. 
The main character has been a understudy for several years to the top 12 hottest man on earth.. and he falls in love with this guy's wife. Scandal. Apparently a funny story but seriously, affair is so off-putting.

But then rational saved me la, "Amanda, you just saw Starter for Ten the movie two weeks ago. And, The Understudy is affair-related and the synopsis so not feel-good. Will you read this?"
Starter for Ten (2006)
Starring the ever so hot James McAvoy
This was an excellent movie. Came home after a shift and this strange movie was on TV. Really did feel  the atmosphere of the past and that of student life. Seems so tragic at first but happy ending with a moral to the story. I love movies with '..and the moral of the story is?' feeling.
So went scouting for other 3 for 2 offers and saw this which looks like vegetable soup for my soul:

Never Let Me Go
Kazuo Ishiguro
RRP £7.99
Bought this cos the title is so emo like how I feel now. I hope it will be a good and distracting read. Triple plus for the author being Japanese (Japanese obsession, yo!)


And this! Rawr!

Dexter is Delicious
Jeff Lindsay (sorry, but so not handsome)
RRP £7.99
OMG, I so love Dexter. I have only watched a couple of episodes on a flight but got hooked. Have read all the other Dexter books with great enthusiasm to the point of being anti-social! Really wanna buy the Dexter DVD boxset but I think it's not out for the UK market yet plus, not so cheap now.

And settled for this David Nicholls book because it also looks like vegetable soup as well... Didn't realize the movie just came out! I'm so on-trend.
One Day
David Nicholls
RRP £7.99
Effectively this book is FREE on the offer :)
Hmmmm, will I only meet Mr Right 20 years from now? Depressing gila punya thought

I put it in my toilet so it looks more chic than it already is. Ahahaha, yallah.
And also bought two cards. 

It's been eight days since I broke up with my ex-boyfriend. Hopefully these books will keep my mind busy when idle so I don't think stuff that will upset me la. 



No comments:

Post a Comment