Tuesday 27 September 2011

Facial at Halls of Ivy

"I'm gonna flush out and cover up every hiding place so he has to come out. Cruel? Sounds like I'm doing him a favour and being his publicist FOC!" - I love the stuff I come up with

I had a facial session booked at a place I have been passing by recently. I didn't notice it before and it turns out they're only a year old. It's called Halls of Ivy and it is a beauty parlour as well as a beauty academy. BBC 3 awarded the parlour/owner 1st runner up Beautician of the Year...

So, I was going through their service and price list and they have a 1 hour Monu Aromatic Facial session for £35  which, I thought, wasn't too bad a price. They are opened all week except Monday, so it had to be done today.

I showed up pretty much on time but they thought I was late as the girl booked my appointment 30 minutes earlier. They were nice about it, though.

My yardstick to any facials I get is: Aster Spring: Origin of Beauty in Malaysia. Price also compare la.

The place looked quite nice la but not spa-ish. Looks more like how someone would decorate a house in a modern punya English-type decoration i.e. one wall with a fancy coloured wall paper, a radio, a nice cupboard with decorative flower-candles, their table and no wash basin in the room. Should have taken photo! But you can see it here.

The bed was like one of those beds with a hole where you can put the face but they've covered it with a rather furry decorative towel. I doubt it is washed everyday cos they just line it with tissue like they do on hospital out-patient couches. No pillow under your knees. No towel to cover you when you get cold but the bed was heated la, thank god. So, I was thinking, is it cheaper to wash towels or heat a bed?

Then, they will get you to undress in private but the towel is probably at most 50cm long. I am not that tiny but neither am I fat; I couldn't wrap it around my chest. It was really weird la. Imagine the fat lady with tetek besar; she'd be lucky if the towel just about reached each nipple medially. Worse was when she later gave me the head band to put in myself so I mess up my hair instead of them (shifting responsibility at the next level). I was already using my upper arms to hold the little towel down. How do I do this without the towel dropping? A gay man might have bluffed me into think I had a solid relationship but luckily I not so stupid, lie down and put it on.

So everything was pretty much standard la. Wash, exfoliate, mask, massage, tone and moisturize.

The good:
1) Excellent application of each product. Every time was a massage. Her fingers were always warm! Her touch was like a fairy's. So smooth. So relaxing I was almost in dreamland
2) Offer me water
3) Don't have to omong-kosong too much
4) The price isn't too bad.

The not-so-good:
1) No steamer and steaming
2) No extractions
3) No towel but got heated bed
4) Just under one-hour. More like 45 minutes
5) I doubt the product is not tailored to the skin. And, not very aromatic for an aromatic facial. After five-hours, my skin felt dry and if I didn't top-up my own, I think it will become oily too. I have combination skin.

Verdict:
I think it was OK la. Three stars. I don't think, even after three sessions, my face would have that glow I get when I go to Aster Spring. I would go back to the place but not do the same facial (this is their only one-hour facial) again. Will want to try the microdermabrasion to see if I can get rid of some of my acne scars. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment